A few notes:
1. First aid volunteers -
We'd like to have a few sideline volunteers to help out with first aid at practices and games so I can stay on the field/sideline. We have a stocked first aid kit at every practice and game (and I'll add a few items, like sport tape).
--> Please email Jim or me if you can help.
2. Other volunteer opportunities -
I'd like to include interested parents in more of the coaching, in terms of learning rules and helping with drills at practices (and substitute coaching if I'm not at a game). To be honest, I often come up with the practice drills on the spot, depending on weather, number of players, and what I'm seeing in warmup, so I don't always have a firm plan... but it would have been good to have helpers for the mini 3-on-3 games today!
--> We will definitely need help with calling lines during games to make sure playing time per kid is equitable. Anyone?
--> I will do better with asking for helpers at practices. Meanwhile, feel free to help me with remembering the rules... I'm not good with specific details. http://www.discnw.org/events/752/info/rules-policies/
3. Current coaching focus -
- Basic skills: throwing, catching, pivoting and throwing around rather than over, covering on D, running to get open (warmup + 3-on-3 for lots of disc touches)
- Learning more of the rules, so games will be smoother (scrimmaging with stoppages to mention rules as they arise, teaching about calling their own fouls since no refs)
- Reinforcing spirit of the game (reminders, reinforcing concept, letting kids make their own calls)
- Having fun and bonding (kid-led team cheers, kids helping each other on the field)
- Self-governance and leadership (kids will each take turns as 'line leaders' at games, taking responsibility for the rest of their teammates on that point - who is picking up the disc, has everyone had a turn, is everyone ready, etc.)
- Some strategy and field sense, like spreading out, but mostly for safety
Mostly, I just want them to get lots of game-based playing time, since that's the best practice. Also, I'm trying to keep sideline talk to the basics ('remember to spread out across the whole field', 'make sure you've got someone on D', 'you're too close to the thrower and I don't want you to get hit in the face', 'great play', etc.), so the kids can learn as experientially as possible.
4. Progress -
Every single player is learning quickly, improving every week, and having successes at each practice. The most important thing is to keep trying - it can take years to master some of the skills!
--> FYI in general, I'm focusing on the team rather than individuals, but if any player wants specific feedback about something, grab me after practice to chat.